A well thought out backyard can be a huge factor when selling your home. It can influence the prospective buyers’ entire perception of the property. As such, a messy, overgrown yard can deter buyers and make a horrible first impression. In our latest blog, we have put together some ideas to make your yard a selling point, helping you to get the best return on your home.
They don’t call it the great outdoors for anything. A well landscaped and maintained yard can add 15% to the value of your home. If a person REALLY loves it, your yard can add another 12% in perceived value to certain buyers! That’s a lot of value! Here are some suggestions to have your yard sell your home!
First impression is extremely important and curb appeal can influence someone’s final decision. Whether you like it or not, people do judge a book by its cover and you must have this in mind when selling your Milwaukee home. If your front yard is overgrown, paint on the fence is worn out and everything is messy people can opt to not even bother looking inside!
- Add paint touch-ups as needed
- Add new fixtures, locks, and doormat
- Refresh mailbox with some paint and flowers planted around the base
- Trim back bushes and trees, and make sure all the weeds are pulled from the flower beds.
Make Them Feel At Home
A backyard is a huge opportunity for whole family to entertain and to spend some time together. If you allow your potential buyers to envision themselves having some fun time outside, you’ve already done half of the job.
- Make sure there are multiple seating areas.
- Add some leisure items such as a hammock or fire pit
- A nice backyard can almost serve as an additional room. Make the grilling area into an outdoor kitchen.
Be sure to utilize the backyard during showings and open houses! Make some barbecue and create a relaxing, warm atmosphere for everyone.
If you keep your yard clean and neat you will send a positive message about the state of other parts of your home. If you have spent time taking care of your yard, you are likely to do a good job with the rest of the home. A neat yard and freshly mowed lawn will show that you take pride in your home, and people will recognize and respect that.
- Power the sidewalk, porch, driveway and anything else that needs it. A good power washing can have the same effect as a fresh coat of paint!
- Pull the weeds, edge the lawn and trim back bushes and trees.
- Get rid of ANY clutter laying around. Even if it something you use, if it is in anyway an eye-sore, store it away somewhere else.
- Wash the windows, inside and out
- Touch up worn out or chipped paint
- Fix anything in need of repair… steps, mailbox, etc.
While you want a beautiful yard, you don’t want it to be a full-time job to maintain. Simple and clean is the best way to go.
- Be conscious of water usage, especially in dryer areas
- Don’t plant high maintenance vegetation
- Consider a rock garden, sand or gravel in one area of the yard
However, you choose to landscape, make sure you are doing in consciously, with your potential buyer in mind! Your yard can make or break the sale of your home! Keep this in mind when you are ready to sell your Milwaukee house!
If you are thinking about selling your Milwaukee home, we can help you get ready with some innovative and inspiring ideas!